Whale Watching Mirissa
Mirissa 5 Hrs
No Booking Fee
Over the past five years, Sri Lanka has emerged as one of the world’s major whale-watching destinations.
British marine biologist Charles Anderson, who in 1999 first proposed the theory that there was an annual migration of blue and sperm whales between the Bay of Bengal and around the coast of Sri Lanka to the Arabian Sea (heading west in April, and returning in the opposite direction in December/January). Anderson’s theory led to the dramatic discovery that Sri Lanka was sitting alongside one of the world’s great cetacean migratory routes, with sightings of these majestic creatures almost guaranteed for large parts of the year, and the possibility of seeing both sperm and blue whales (as well as spinner dolphins) in a single trip.
Mirissa is perfectly placed for whale-watching expeditions, being where the continental shelf on which Sri Lanka sits is at its narrowest, with ocean depths of 1km within 6km of the coast – ideal whale country.
Mirissa is one of the most appealing places to spend a few days next to the sea in southern Sri Lanka. The beach here is one of the nicest along this stretch of coast, with a fine swathe of sand tucked away into a pretty little bay, backed by a dense thicket of coconut palms – particularly lovely at night, when the lights go on and the sands transform into a magical tangle of fairy lights.
Located close to the Southern tip of the Island and only about 200 km from the Equator, this secluded crescent shaped beach is the perfect place to sit back, relax and forget about all the hussle and bussle of your other life that’s miles away. This small sandy tropical beach boasts some of Sri Lanka’s best and most stunning sunsets and sunrises.
Sightings are most regular from December to April (with Dec & April being the best months).
- Board the boat by 05:45am
- Welcoming the guest
- Distribution of safety jackets
- Proceed to deep sea
- Have breakfast on board and continue the tour
- Return back to the shore
- Life insurance
- Hot & Cool beverages
- All the safety equipment during activity will be provided
- Entrance ticket
- All taxes
Terms & Conditions
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking No heart problems or other serious medical conditions If you are booking a half-day safari, advise if it is a Morning or Evening safari.
- A maximum of 6 people per booking Not recommended for child aged 5 years or under
- Please Advise which safari would you like to go on when you making the booking for Half Day Safari.
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Near public transportation
- Not recommended for travelers with back problems
- Not recommended for pregnant travelers
- Travelers should have a moderate physical fitness level
- This is a private tour/activity. Only your group will participate
- Filling up the booking form online will not guarantee you a confirmed booking. Once the booking form is submitted, an agent will review and reply with the instructions on how to get your booking confirmed.
- Each and every payment will be issued an invoice.
- Reservations will be placed in the order of advance payment dates. To guarantee your booking on your requested date, we recommend you to pay the advance payment as soon as possible.
- Every addition except for the items mentioned in the package inclusions will be priced separately.